Friday, January 5, 2007

Tourette's syndrome

Dec 28, 2006
Bear with me
I HAVE been suffering from Tourette's syndrome since I was seven. At that age, I had only motor tics, which included twitching of the head and constant sniffing.
However, when I was 13, I started to have vocal tics, which included making weird noises. My condition worsened after I graduated from polytechnic.
I am 22 years old and, now and then, I give vent to a sudden outburst of 'arhhh!', or repeat words I hear or see on the bus, train and in public places.
I understand that people who are around me will get a fright. However, I get very disheartened when I try to explain that I have a nerve disorder. Many people in Singapore do not know about the syndrome; many think I am mentally ill.
I am doing national service and completed my Basic Military Training in Tekong recently. During those seven weeks, I shouted constantly at the very top of my voice, loud enough for recruits from other companies to hear.
I was lucky I had very supportive commanders and platoon mates. I was given the option to be downgraded from PES C to E but I declined as the people in my Raven Company were supportive and I was determined to prove that Tourette's sufferers are capable.


I would also like to thank Singapore Airlines for allowing me to fly on SQ322 on Sept 16 and on SQ319 on Sept 26 despite my shouting on board the plane before takeoff. I was able to settle down after takeoff and tried to sleep through the flight so as not to disturb the other passengers.
Will my shouting bouts get softer and fewer? Will I be able to hold a job with my diploma in IT from a local polytechnic? Will the local universities accept me? These are some of the many questions that worry me every day.
I hope the local media will publish more articles or show more programmes to publicise Tourette's syndrome.
During my recent trip to Britain, I found that many people there are aware of the syndrome. They would give me a smile or say, 'Was that Tourette's? It must be hard on you.'
Words like these make me feel better.
Tan Wei Zhi



Well just wanna let u ppl reading that this is Tourette's syndrome. I am sure most of you, in some time or another, came across someone with this condition. I came across 1 when i am serving my NS too. I was sergeant and he is a recruit. Well i did not came into contact with him much but i did remembered there's one time when i am supervising the area cleaning and his one of the guys doin it. i felt a little bad cos i realised that even a little agitation like "hey u guys, can you do faster?" will be able to trigger the involuntary twitching and muscle spasms. At that time, i have no idea the name of this condition, and now i know.. hoped u too!!! :)

No comments: